Week 9 Story: Karna and the Editor of C.A. Kincaid's version of the Mahabharata

Bibliography: The Indian Heroes: Mahabharata - The Princes of Elephant City by C.A. Kincaid

Editor: So... does everything look good?

Bhima: It looks great!

Arjuna: There's nothing I would change!

Yudhishthira: Perfectly written!

Nakula: I love it!

Sahadeva: I second everything that was said!

Karna: Wait hold up... where's my story?

Editor: What do you mean Karna?

Karna: Like how I was abandoned? How I was denied everything because of the caste I was raised in? My hatred against Arjuna? Our rivalry?? Everything that led up to my defeat? You know, basically my entire life story and my reason for existence?

Editor: Oh yeah that. We decided to cut it out because we didn't think it would be popular.

Karna: Wouldn't be popular??? It's like one of the most well known parts of the Mahabharata!

Editor: I don't have any ill will by this but I think I know what people want more than you.

Karna: What?

Editor: Ok sounds like everything is good then!

Karna: No everything is not good! I demand you put my story in there or you can't mention my name at all in this story!

Editor: Let's calm down and think about this first, Karna. It's not that big of a deal.

Arjuna: Yeah Karna, not everything is about you.

Karna: Shut up Arjuna.

Bhima: Karna just take one for the team. They downplayed my fight against Hidimba and made me look not as cool but you don't see me complaining.

Karna: These two situations aren't even the same! I'm basically a background character in this version! I was only there to be killed by Arjuna and make him look better. Where is my backstory, my development??? I have already been disrespected enough in the original version, and now you want to disrespect me even more?

Editor: So what's your point?

Karna: Whatever man I'm so done right now.

Editor: Great! Sounds like we are all ok with this!

Karna's Death


Author's Note:
When I was reading C.A. Kincaid's version of the Mahabharata, I was so surprised to see Karna essentially reduced to a background character. I wanted to write a story showing Karna's frustration with being left out in this version so I imagined them talking with the editor of C.A. Kincaid's version of the Mahabharata.

Comments

  1. Hey Anthony!
    I loved your story for this week. It definitely is a new approach that I haven’t seen yet this semester. With that being said, I thought it was a great read for sure. I thought having Karna being frustrated without being left out and having a dialogue with the editor was brilliant. It really brought the story alive and I cannot wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Russell Westbrook's Biggest Fan

Week 7 Story: Karna's Final Thoughts