Reading Notes: Mahabharata C.A Kincaid A

Overall Thoughts:
I prefer this version a lot more because it was more straightforward. The C.A Kincaid version was essentially an abridged version of the one we read so it was a great refresher on the important bits of the story.

For the most part, the story in the first half was pretty similar to the public domain version. One thing that I was not a fan of in the Kincaid version was how much they downplayed Karna. I thought that Karna's story was a big part of Mahabharata but the Kincaid version puts that whole plot-point to the side. For example, he doesn't mention Drona refusing to be Karna's teacher just because of his status. This was a small point in the public domain version that showed why Karna hated Arjuna and the caste system. Karna seemed like a side character here which is a shame cause he is probably my favorite character in all of the stories I have read so far.

I also don't remember Bhima announcing to all the royals that he will drink Dushasan's blood. I thought it was an inner monologue kinda thing. I am also pretty sure that Dushasan didn't show his naked thigh to Draupadi in the free domain version. Is that like some major taboo? This story was a nice reminder on some of the more important parts that I forgot about and is overall a good, and short, version of the Mahabharata.


Draupadi at the Tournament



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Russell Westbrook's Biggest Fan

Week 7 Story: Karna's Final Thoughts