Biography: My First All-Nighter

Imagine this: you are a sophomore in college. You usually go to sleep between 11 pm-1 am but you always get around 7 hours of sleep a night. You've never pulled an all-nighter before and anytime you go to bed way past your normal bedtime, you would skip your morning lectures just to get 7 hours of sleep. Basically, you're almost always decently well-rested.

Now that you're done visualizing this, you are pretty much me during mid-September, 2018.

During that semester, I was in a 1 credit hour circuits class with our grades being essentially 3 projects and a final exam. Each of the projects require us to build a random circuit and then analyze it but that's not the main point. The important part is that those project take a long time; and I mean a LONG time. I've always been a major procrastinator but I've never really been burned by it because most of my projects up til now were fairly simple and straightforward. I foolishly thought that the circuits project was going to be the same so I waited until the day it was due before I started it. I found out very quickly that if I wanted to finish this, I needed to pull an all-nighter. Desperate times calls for desperate measures. I still remember very vividly what happened.

At 2 am, I was still feeling pretty great. I was making decent progress and I thought I could finish around 5 am.

At 3 am, I hit a massive wall. I remember suddenly feeling extremely tired so I made my first cup of coffee using my roommate's stash of K-cups. Since I never drink coffee, that woke me up and I was ready to go.

The savior of my grade


At 4 am, the coffee wore off and I got even more tired so I made my second cup of coffee. That one didn't wake me up so I made another cup of coffee right after that. It kind of woke me up but I slowed down a lot in my progress since I was so tired.

At 5 am, I was at peak tiredness. I remember debating with myself whether I should just take the L and get some sleep. I ended up just pushing through and finish the project but it was a grind.

At around like 5:30, I suddenly got this massive jolt of energy and I used that burst to finish my project. I ended up finishing around 6:45 am, so I turned in my project, showered to wake myself up, made my fourth cup of coffee, and headed to my 8:30 am circuits lecture.

The end consequence from this whole ordeal is that my sleeping schedule is now completely messed up 1 and a half years later and I think I have a coffee addiction now. Also I guess my body isn't used to pulling an all-nighter so I ended up getting super sick the next day. At least I got a good grade on the project. That was my first experience pulling an all-nighter.

Note: I decided to write this biography like how I would tell a story to a friend in real life. It's a lot more casual and some of the punctuation might not be correct since I was just using them to signal when I would pause.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Russell Westbrook's Biggest Fan

Week 11 Story: The Bully and the Kid