My Thoughts on Growth Mindset

While I have heard of growth mindset before, this was the first time I have heard of Carol Dweck. I do agree with the growth mindset thinking but I do not think it would work well implemented in a school setting. My main concern with it, and it's something that was brought up in Paunesku's article, is how growth mindset and fixed mindset can be used as a label for the student's performance. What I got from the TED Talk was that growth mindset, such as using "not yet," can take the place of traditional grading systems in public schools. In my opinion, using "not yet" or something similar for students that are not doing well in school would just end up being another label. It'll eventually devolve into what we have now where there is a negative connotation attached to failing, or in this case, not being ready.

That said, I think the growth mindset of thinking is a great idea, just as a personal way of thinking. Instead of having it hard-implemented in schools, I think it should taught to students earlier. That way, rather than having a connotation attached to it (if it were to be implemented in schools), the student's way of thinking and handling with failure will change.

For me personally, growth mindset is something that I have been trying to adopt since coming to OU. Especially since I plan on going into medicine, it is very easy for me to get caught up in the grades and beat myself up over a failed test. I have been trying very hard though to make sure I learn from my failures and I hope that this class will help me expand my mindset even more. 

Growth mindset is important!

Comments

  1. "Don't go through life, grow through life"
    - Eric Butterworth

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Russell Westbrook's Biggest Fan

Week 7 Story: Karna's Final Thoughts